Garbanzo beans are high in protein and a great source of fiber! They are an excellent way to add protein to a meal or snack for those of you who do not consume animal protein. Half a cup of garbanzo beans, otherwise known as chickpeas, contains:
- 6 grams of protein
- 6 grams of fiber
- 2 grams of fat
- 20 grams of carbohydrates
They also contain vitamins, minerals, and are especially high in: folate, phosphorus, iron, and manganese. Because of their nutritional breakdown, they would be great post workout.
4 Ways to Incorporate Garbanzo Beans
This tasty hummus recipe is a perfect example! For this recipe I wanted to give it a little punch! I added fresh parsley, raw garlic, fresh lemon juice, and a jalapeno to give it a lot flavor. The tahini is what helps make it extra creamy and smooth. Pair it with some raw veggies or my new favorite Lentil Chips for a little crunch. Many hummus recipes revolve around chickpeas. They are part of the legume family, are fairly inexpensive, and store very well.
Roasted Chickpeas are a phenomenal snack and can be seasoned a multitude of ways to keep it interesting. Add cooked chickpeas to your salad for a boost of protein and fiber. Transform your soaked chickpeas with a food processor or Ninja! Add some herbs, veggies, and flour to create a Chickpea Falafel. There are numerous ways to add these little guys to a meal!
- 2 Cans (15.5 oz/can) of Organic Chickpeas OR 1 cup of Organic Dried Chickpeas
- 5 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Cup of Organic Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 Jalapeno
- 2 Tbsp. Organic Tahini
- 1/2 Organic Lemon
- * Ninja or other Food Processor*
- If you are using dried garbanzo beans soak them overnight in a salt water solution, then drain
- Remove stems and chop parsley
- Slice open the jalapeno and remove seeds and stem
- Place drained chickpeas, parsley, jalapeno, and garlic cloves in the Ninja and blend until smooth, you may have to use a spatula to scrape down the sides and blend again.
- Add tahini and freshly squeezed lemon juice and blend until ultra creamy!
- Serve with you choice of raw veggies, chips, or use as a spread. 🙂